Thursday, November 20, 2008

Help Me Set An Old Man's Mind Straight

Family - At Ann-Marie's suggestion, I implore you to comment on this post. Yesterday, Dad (in front of Grandma, Shaunie, Bart and Scott) declared that I (Heather) am the most manipulative child he has. I think the exact phrase was, "Every family has a master manipulator; Scott is the one in our family and Heathie is the one in my family."

Of course, I was totally confused as to how I could be both the most direct and most manipulative child. I responded with a "I bet if you asked my siblings, hands down it would be someone else." So I'm asking. To help clear the record, but not cause any other family member to be identified as the true master manipulator and thus cause hurt feelings, I am asking you to simply rank me among the immediate siblings (1 being the most manipulative and 7 being the least). You can do this by anonymous post if necessary. Thanks fam! Look forward to your ranking and sharing it with Painho.

Friends and family are welcome to participate in the anonymous survey at the right as well.

To help, I've pasted the definition below. (Well, maybe I did change the position of my fetus...)

Manipulate /məˈnɪpyəˌleɪt/ –verb (used with object), -lat⋅ed, -lat⋅ing.
1. to manage or influence skillfully, esp. in an unfair manner: to manipulate people's feelings.
2. to handle, manage, or use, esp. with skill, in some process of treatment or performance: to manipulate a large tractor.
3. to adapt or change (accounts, figures, etc.) to suit one's purpose or advantage.
4. Medicine/Medical. to examine or treat by skillful use of the hands, as in palpation, reduction of dislocations, or changing the position of a fetus.

Love you Painho!

9 comments:

Janessa Taylor said...

Hmmm...I don't know if I want to rank you among the siblings really, but I've never really thought of you as manipulative... well, I guess only in the "Nu-Go" days, right? But I always think of manipulative people as kinda "sneaky" with ulterior motives... and you're kinda blatant about things. Hahah! There is definitely ONE sibling that TAKES THE CAKE on manipulation, actually...to not mention any names :) haha... And you are NOT that one! But I don't think I can really rate you against siblings bc I have no idea to be honest, other than that ONE. I'm probably more manipulative than you are...you know, with Painho...but kind of in a funny way...not really a way to ACTUALLY get something out of him. I think I just try for fun...see if I can do it, and of course, I can't because let's face it. DAd is the most UNMANIPULATED person on the PLANET. I'm getting better at manipulating Jordan though--have to work on it bc I'm painfully obvious at manipulation in general. OK, I need to stop rambling on now. You are NOT the most manipulative. Promise. ps. Scott is the most in the Gollaher family, hands down, hehe...but I'm sure you already knew that! (as does he, I'm pretty sure!)

Janessa Taylor said...

Maybe DAd needs to read the definition of "manipulation" you have posted and he may just change his mind...

Anonymous said...

Number 6 or 7. It depends on the day.

Do spouses increase or decrease the ranking of the siblings?

Because much to my chagrin, Greg would rank Nathan higher due to my famous "TURN OFF YOUR WANT MOTOR" lecture that my dad gave me as a child which I shared (in hindsight I should not have) with Greg.

I now get that lecture (joking, I think) from Greg.

Phil and Becca said...

You've never really manipulated me. DAd's just labelling again. I think that the person in the family that does manipulate, does it without knowing and is not malicious about it. I don't think any of the siblings are malicious or mean. Love you lots Heathie!

Janessa Taylor said...

Bec you are just so diplomatic--although, yes, the most manipulative in the family probably doesn't realize it HALF the time...other half yes though :)

Jill and Greg said...

Dad was just kidding Heather. He said to me last night that he is surprised tht Heather is concerned about this. He was joking--cause Heather is always direct with her needs and wants and does not manipulate. I am sure that he'd say I manipulate more than Heather!

Love ya!

Jill and Greg said...

DAd says:::

It was a joke... heather is the most direct, unmanipulative member of our family... at the same time she is often the most gulible (hence the joke).... we love you heath...."3"

Anonymous said...

Isn't this post self-affirming. Heather, are you attempting to maniuplate us to think bad of the "old man?"

Phil and Becca said...

And then an elephant came into the room...
-Phil