Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Our "First Family" Trip

Click on this to view - Really cool art wall at the National Art Museum
Our family took a trip to Washington D.C. last week to visit our good friends, Chris and Becky Wickstrom, and also see the sites. Neither of us had been to the capital since we were young - me 6, Jay 8. We saw all the monuments, Smithsonian, Art Museum (which Jay could have done without, but like the Louvre, I had to see it all), Library of Congress, Temple, National Archives, National Zoo and Gettysburg.We had a fabulous multi-course meal every night ala Bec and for the first time since having Lauren, I gained weight on the trip. Transportation was a cinch with the Metro. Some things we learned:
  • Everything is free in D.C.!
  • When you bring a stroller to the National Archives, they let you jump the line for the Declaration of Independence/Constitution through the handicap entrance.
  • Bec is a great cook, but not as good as Jay at Mario Cart.
  • The Metro's rule of no eating apparently doesn't apply to boogers.
  • Lauren could stare at fishes and fountains all day.
  • Jay is an expert on Gettysburg after doing a report on it in 8th grade and is a great tour guide.
  • You can see all the monuments in an hour if you have Chris driving you to the curb and swinging around to get you after five minutes.
  • Now when Lauren asks to go to D.C., we can tell her she's been there.

And just because Lauren is cuter than the sites, she will be featured in most of the photos below:

At the National Art Museum (about the only moment of happiness there)

King of the monuments

At the FDR Memorial

At Bob Evans in small town Maryland on the way home from Gettysburg

At the WWII Memorial where an Asian tourist wanted to take Lauren's photo

Surprisingly the only photo of Becky at Gettysburg (fab shades)

The ratio of Lauren vs. Elephant at the Natural History Museum

(For Bec) At the Library of Congress

Loving the fountain at the Sculpture Garden

As close to the White House as we got

I know it's a longer than usual post, but I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks to Becky and Chris! - hgb

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that if you have another kid that you will feel guilty if you do not have as many pictures of them as you do for Lauren. You might want to cut back on the CUTE picture taking.

Anonymous said...

I would not comment again, because bad grammer "1 comments" does not bother me, but since it is your blog I now feel that I have to double comment so that you will not comment to your own post just so the "2 comments" will be gramatically correct.

My word verification is "mating". You could do a pretty funny post with this as your title. I would love to read what you come up with. Do it for me?

Janessa Taylor said...

Heathie...nice pics--although not sure about the one in the diner...a little scary, no? ;) Lauren looks cute as ever!!! Don't worry, I'm sure you'll take lots of pictures of your other kids!

Michelle and Andrew said...

I AM IN SHOCK!!!! in a good way of course. you have been added to my list.

becky said...

First of all, I love it -- all of it. (Okay, mostly the Lauren part of it, but still).

Secondly, bacon ceiling tile=awesome. My deepest gratitude.

Thirdly, Jay is SO not better than me at Mario Cart. Hey, why is my nose suddenly 12 inches long? It bumped my screen. Oh boo.

Fourth, I'm SOOOOO happy that's your only picture of me.

Finally, come back. Let's do it again. There's a lot you didn't see. You wouldn't want Lauren to miss out on all the sites, would you?

Heaven bless the presence of this blog. :)