Friday, February 12, 2010

Baby Brother Update


We have been receiving a lot of care and monitoring since Jan. 22, when we thought we might have to deliver early because of the baby's extremely high heart rate (200/400). We were sent to the pediatric cardiologists who discovered some faulty connection (absence ductus venosus) between the placenta and heart that is causing more blood to be pumped into the left side of the heart. They also found a large hole in the heart near the valves that we will likely need to have surgically repaired (85 percent chance) within his first year. The baby has had a normal rhythm since and seems to not have any other side effects due to these conditions. We are so grateful to have found these anomolies beforehand and to be getting the care we can now and know what to anticipate for later.

Since we don't have a name yet, "baby brother" is going to come into the world on March 2 at 7:30 a.m. barring any unforeseen circumstances causing an earlier delivery. I'll be having a c-section again, but should be conscious for this one at least and Jay will actually be there for this delivery - a new experience over Lauren's birth. The baby will be a couple of weeks early. We appreciate all the prayers on our behalf.

4 comments:

Phil and Becca said...

We are so excited that he'll be born on Kaylin's birthday! I hope everything goes well. Little Lauren is adorable! I fixed the pictures on my blog, so they should come up now. Jared is growing so fast, which means more clothes for baby X. Love you lots!

Janessa Taylor said...

My prayers will be with you for sure!! It'll be perfect, don't you worry!

Allison said...

We can't wait to meet "baby brother"! Good luck, it will be 10 times better than with Lauren...I promise!

Tonee said...

I am so sorry to hear about the problems. I am glad they caught them early and stopped your potential early labor. Wow, what a wild ride. I will be praying that all goes well with the delivery; I am grateful you guys are doing okay at the moment. Love, Tonee